The mission of Dignity House Inc. is to see women transition to a life God has planned for them, to provide support, safety and community, to address barriers for change, to aid them in identifying and applying skills, strategies and solutions. In order to do this we incorporate different approaches in healing the emotional, spiritual, physical, and mental areas of need. Also addressing some systematic, social, colonialist and paternalistic issues for the women to help them find hope, faith, love and dignity.
One of the biggest challenges that women wanting to leave the sex trade encounter is not having safe or stable housing. Another huge hurdle is dealing with trauma. With these problems in mind and areas of need Dignity House Inc. supports and aids women by offering a residential setting and an off-site center where recovery can happen. One home is a second stage home, which means women have gone through addiction treatment first if needed or are ready to begin programming and the other is transitional housing a home where when they have completed the five stages of change and need support and accountability while re uniting with their families they can live in it for 2-3 years approximately.
Many women find themselves trapped in the cycle of prostitution. It is a lifestyle that is fraught with violence and exploitation through human trafficking, addictions, and poverty. They are coerced, forced and/or recruited/pimped to become sexual slaves for men’s use.
Built on the solid foundation of Christ, the primary focus of Dignity House is to lead these ladies into an understanding and acceptance of Jesus Christ as their Lord and to show them His love. Only Jesus offers the freedom, love, peace and hope these women so long for.
Our Vision is to see women transition from the sex trade, to create safety and community, to address barriers for change, to build self-esteem, to aid women in identifying and applying skills, strategies and solutions to the physical, academic, systemic, emotional, spiritual, financial and legal barriers.
The core values of Dignity House Inc. are:
- Dignity for all women, Christian and non-Christian alike, because they are all valuable to God and His Kingdom
- Integrity in all we do as we strive to be good stewards of the resources God provides to us
- Grace and Compassion as demonstrated by Jesus
- New hope for a transformed life in all aspects
- Inspiration for a positive identity in Christ
- Trust in God’s love
- Yielding to Biblical principles
- To provide spiritual guidance, restoration and healing to women desiring to leave the sex industry;
- To provide counselling and mentoring, including experiential counselling;
- To demonstrate genuine love providing examples of nurturing relationships;
- To work in partnership with community resources and other organizations;
- To provide safe affordable housing;
- To mentor the women to learn to live communally modeling life skills, interpersonal communication and healthy relationships;
- To provide assistance in finding careers and/or educational opportunities with the goal of the women becoming gainfully employed, seeking partnerships with businesses and individuals who could provide employment opportunities;
- To establish relationships with women working in the sex industry in the hope to later provide assistance to leave the sex industry when they are ready;
- To network with and support other faith-based organizations and to network with other non-Christian organizations dedicated to the same and/or similar goals in assisting individuals and families that desire a healthier lifestyle;
- To become a financially self-sustaining ministry.